Chris Waller made the grave announcement yesterday that 2011 Cox Plate hopeful My Kingdom Of Fife would miss the rest of the spring due to a hoof injury.
The talented five-year-old won his last start in the Group 3 Craven Plate on Saturday while being only 90 per cent fit and was high up in the Cox Plate 2011 betting markets until Waller’s shock announcement.
My Kingdom Of Fife had also been nominated for the 2011 Caulfield Cup and 2011 Melbourne Cup.
“He’s pulled up OK from Saturday, but not 100 percent and I’m not prepared to take the risk and push on towards the Carnival with him,” Waller said yesterday.
“We knew the writing was on the wall after Saturday, but we chose not to believe that he’d pulled up too bad and patched him and took him to the beach for a couple of days and that masked everything.
“But yesterday morning I wasn’t 100 percent happy and then we got him scanned and x-rayed late yesterday afternoon and only got the results back now to say that’s not 100 percent and needs to be kept.
“If we look after the horse now, I wouldn’t say (he’ll be back for) the autumn, but we’ll definitely be there next spring.”
The trainer admitted that My Kingdom Of Fife would most likely not make another appearance until spring next year.
“I don’t like to put a Band-Aid on things, I think he is in grave doubt for the autumn,” Waller said.
”I consider him a young horse, he’ll be back next year, don’t worry about that.”
The Kingmambo gelding has won four of his six starts since arriving in Australia from England earlier this year.
”It turns around pretty quickly in this game,” Waller said.
”Thank God for good owners and staff that keep these horses going.”
Open an account with our most trusted online bookmaker Luxbet and you will receive the best tote price plus 5% when you place an Exotic Bet such as an exacta, quinella, trifecta, first four or a quaddie on any meeting that features a Group 1 race!
This deal is only available for a limited period of time so open your Luxbet account now and start betting!